How to install a SSL Certificate for Apache?
If you are installing an EV SSL Certificate, please follow our Apache EV SSL Certificate Installation Instructions. Otherwise, please follow these instructions to install your SSL certificate on Apache.
1. Once you received your SSL certificate by e-mail, please copy and paste it into a text file (with Notepad or Wordpad) and save the file with the .crt extension. (Include the tags -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and -----END CERTIFICATE-----).
2. Download your Intermediate Certificate. Copy and paste the content in a text file with the .crt extension.
3. Copy the two files in the directory on your server where you will keep your certificate and key files. Make them readable by root only.
4. Find your Apache config file (it varies from server to server). This file is usually located in /etc/httpd. The file is usually named httpd.conf.
5. Find the <VirtualHost> blocks in httpd.conf. If you need your site to be accessible through both https and http, you need a virtual host for each type of connection. Make a copy of the existing non-secure virtual host and configure it for SSL. If you need your site to be accessed securely only, configure the existing virtual host.
6. Configure the <Virtualhost> block for the SSL-enabled site.
7. Test your Apache configuration before restarting by typing apachectl configtest.
8. Restart Apache !
Note: If Apache doesn't start with SSL enabled, try "apachectl startssl" instead of "apachectl start". If it works, we recommend you adjust the apache startup configuration to include SSL support in the regular "apachectl start" command.