How to install properly your SSL Certificate for Microsoft IIS 7.0?
Please follow these instructions to install your SSL certificate on Microsoft Internet Information Services 7.0:
Once you received your SSL certificate by e-mail, please copy and paste it into a text file (with Notepad or Wordpad) and save the file with the .crt extension. (Include the tags -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- and -----END CERTIFICATE-----).
- Open Internet Information Services 7.0 (IIS 7.0).
- Click Start.
- Open Control Panel.
- Select Administrative Tools.
- Start Internet Services Manager.
- Click Server Name.
- From the center menu, double-click “Server Certificates” in the “Security” section.
- Select the “Actions” menu from the right and click on “Complete Certificate Request”.
- The Complete Certificate Request wizard will appear.
- In the wizard, enter the location and name of the SSL certificate you saved to your server earlier and then enter a Friendly Name. The Friendly Name is not part of the certificate itself, but is used by the server administrator to easily distinguish the certificate, then click OK.
After the certificate has been successfully installed to the server, you will need to assign that certificate to the appropriate website using IIS.
- From the “Connections” menu in the main Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager window, select the name of the server to which the certificate was installed.
- Under “Sites”, select the site to be secured with SSL.
- From the “Actions” menu on the right click on “Bindings”.
- The “Site Bindings” window will open.
- In the “Site Bindings” window, click “Add”. This will open the “Add Site Binding” window.
- Under “Type” choose https. The IP address should be the IP address of the site or All Unassigned, and the port over which traffic will be secured by SSL is usually 443. The “SSL Certificate” field should specify the certificate that was installed previously.
- Click OK.
Install the Intermediate Certificate (according to the SSL certificate you implement)
1. Get your intermediate certificate. Copy and paste the contents into a .crt file by using a text editor software.
2. Launch the Microsoft Management Console (do Start > Run > MMC).
3. Go to File > Add/Remove Snap-in.
4. Click Add. Select Certificates and click Add.
5. Select Computer Account. Click Next and select Local Computer.
6. Click Finish.
7. In the MMC, right-click on Intermediate Certification Authorities and go to All Tasks > Import.
8. Click Browse and select your intermediate certificate (from step 1).
9. Click Next.
Now your SSL certificate is installed, you MUST restart IIS to complete the operation.